About Me

My photo
Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
I can see in myself the best gift of God.

Friday, September 30, 2011

LAW: A Bane or a Boon?


By: Alice D. Campo

  Imagine yourself living in a world wherein you can do anything you want to do. You’re free. You’re liberated. Nothing is prohibited. It’s fully democratic. Awesome life, isn’t it? Well, do you think you’re safe? Do you think your life’s already perfect?

  It’s midnight and you’re still out of the house. It’s dawn, and you’re still yelling on the streets holding a beer on your left hand, cigarette on your right hand. I didn’t say you’re like that. I never said you do that. I just wanted you to imagine if you were that teenager who took the wrong path.

  As we see today, a lot of teenagers become rebellious. Was it ever against the law? What if there were no more laws? What scenes could people of today encounter nowadays?

  I am a teenager. I don’t want to be one of them – those unconscious teens who never thought about themselves, who never thought about their future. I am lucky because I know I’m not one of them. I’m far from my family in order to study and not to take bad actions.

  Law starts at home itself. The examples I cited on the previous paragraphs are the negative effects of law. Children cannot accept the law being ordered by their parents. They do not want to follow these. They wanted to ruin their lives. They wanted to live freely. They had a happy life by themselves. They never thought of following the commands of their parents working hard to send them to school and raise them.

  This is the actual situation of the government of today. We are the children. The government’s our parents. Why do we see people rallying on the roads? Why do they raise cardboards, shouting what they want? Can’t they just follow? I’m pretty sure it’s for the betterment of their lives, our lives.

  Laws are orders, they are set of rules, legalized, formalized, and the best but worst for some who do not follow is that these laws have sanctions. If we, human being, have minds, we should know how to follow simple instructions – do not steal, no jaywalking. Well, in a simple classroom situation, you can still notice students copying answers called cheating. The teacher orders them not to cheat but still, they do. I know it’s not against the law. But it is against the school policy. It is against God’s law.

  Making a law, I think, is more difficult than following and abiding by it. Making a law takes a lot of procedures, a lot of reviews, a lot of bills, a lot of rejections. Citizens should know laws are created for better and not for worse. The only part that we should do is to follow.

  I deem in the saying that “A law maybe harsh; but it is the law.” So, I’m taking this opportunity to ask you, is law a bane or a boon?

No comments: